Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Home Sweet Home...At last!

Well, we made it home!! Just a quick word to let everyone know we're home safe and sound. We got back on Monday night. Taipei was fabulous and we'd love to go again someday. The trip home, however, was probably the most stressful and trying thing I've ever experienced. I had a major meltdown in Los Angeles after over 11 hours in the air holding Quentin. They had a bassinet for us on the plane, but he absolutely hated it. The second we tried to lay him in it he would let out a deafening howl and frantically try to roll around to get out of it. It was pretty small so I'm sure he felt constricted. I had to hold him the whole way home. He slept for several hours-- most of the flight actually-- but it was restless sleep. He would wake up about every hour or two and wimper or wiggle before falling back asleep. This meant that I didn't get one wink of sleep. When we got to Los Angeles, we had to transfer our own luggage (which is weird, because on the way there, they transfer the bags for us). It took forever and a day to get through immigration, baggage claim, customs, and walk 15+ minutes to the domestic terminal pushing several hundred pounds of luggage and carrying a fussy baby. The plane home to Phoenix was a small plane so it was crowded. We sat on the runway for a good 20 minutes waiting to leave and Quentin screamed and writhed the whole time. It was sheer misery. Once we got to Phoenix, we then had to drive and hour and a half to Tucson with him in a car seat for the first time. We're all beyond exhausted. We slept almost the whole day which worked wonders for everyone. Quentin was very calm and content all night tonight and now he's been soundly sleeping for the past hour and a half so I'm hoping the worst is behind us now.

Well. I better sleep while I can. In the next few days as we all adjust and things settle into a routine, I hope to go back and fix my earlier posts from Taiwan and also add some more pictures. Check back again if you have a chance!